Accounting Assistant (Head Office Location)
This job posting is no longer active
Career wheels spinning but getting nowhere? Put yourself in the driver’s seat and get some traction with Fountain Tire!
With over 50 years of experience in the tire and mechanical service industry, we know what we’re doing and we do it well! Our longstanding success is because of the people that have chosen a career with us.
As part of the Cash Management Accounting team located in our Edmonton Head Office, the Accounting Assistant will support the completion of accurate and timely monthly financial statements by performing various account reconciliations and investigations and ensuring all entries are recorded in the proper periods.
Specifically, the Accounting Assistant will:
- Assist in the preparation of accurate and timely financial statements in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Actively participate in the review and recommendation of accounting processes and control improvements with a focus on building efficiency and effectiveness.
- On a monthly basis conduct the proper analysis, prepare and record the necessary entries to ensure that:
- The prior month’s bank reconciliations for all bank accounts are prepared and balanced with the general ledger by the specified deadline.
- The prior month’s commodity tax filings are prepared and filed; including settlement by to the applicable deadline.
- The prior months account payable vendor account maintenance for the assigned accounts are completed by the applicable deadline.
- Month end is accurately completed by specified deadlines; including the completion of all items on the month end checklist which are assigned to you.
- On a quarterly basis assist in the resolution of outstanding commodity tax refunds identified; including recording the necessary entries in the proper period.
- Address queries from CRA, Ministries of Finance, Vendors and all Fountain Tire associates in a timely fashion, and ensure resolution.
- Process all marketing and pooled funds accounting, including tracking and reporting.
- Complete assigned year-end tasks by the specified deadlines.
- Maintain strong relationships between all departments and areas within the company.
- Ensure compliance with query management and communications policies.
- Ensure journal entries are processed in accordance with the current policy.
- Assist in training accounting team members.
- Participate in all safety initiatives, as required or assigned, to guarantee safety at Fountain Tire.
- Participate in special projects and perform other related duties as assigned.
What does it take to succeed?
- College Diploma with a major in Accounting and one year of experience in an office setting; a combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) software and demonstrated ability to accurately enter data
- Proven ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with various levels within an organization; this includes excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills in order to effectively manage multiple priorities and competing demands within tight deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated initiative in recognizing opportunities for improvement and efficiency.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team environment as well as individually.
What Do We Offer?
- Competitive market wages
- Comprehensive benefits for you and your family.
- Recognition and incentives for your contribution to the organization.
- Support in developing, learning and sharing knowledge.
- Policies and programs that support a balanced lifestyle.
- Discounts for you and your family on tires, parts and services at all Fountain Tire locations